Pages

Monday 8 November 2010

Tales from a Rich Asshole

How many nannies make you a rich asshole? At my peak, I believe I had four of them, plus a housekeeper. I think that qualifies me, don't you? Who am I? I guess I'm still trying to figure that out. I know I'm definitely not an asshole, although you might think I am once you count my nannies. I'm still struggling to "manage my help appropriately," according to my therapist. I've got the rich part down. It's "asshole" that I'm finding difficult. Although I'm pretty sure I never want to be an asshole, all I know is what I am today. As of right now I AM:

  • an educated professional with more years of higher education than my husband
  • an overachiever (never met anyone who did more rounds of IVF unsuccessfully than I, no sirree!)
  • a woman who made the difficult choice to put her own career partly on the back burner to become an oh-so-glamorous "Corporate Wife." 
  • Mother to two beautiful little girls, born within 4 months of each other. Because I'm an aspiring Rich Asshole and could afford to slap infertility in the face with my chequebook
  • married to another aspiring Rich Asshole. Actually, he's the reason we're both becoming Rich Assholes.
  • living in London, although I call New York home. But that could make me anyone.
  • Not the biggest Rich Asshole I know. At least I have that. 

I'm also not "anonymous" in my real life, with a public persona that would be in jeopardy if I went public with the tales I plan to share here. This blog is meant to be a window on my life, where I can (hopefully!) maintain some perspective on what it's like to suddenly find yourself living in a foreign country, with a household of "staff," a husband who works 26 hours a day, 372 days a year, two children who are the most glorious creatures on the planet but still sometimes seriously irritate me, and the knowledge that even your best friends and closest family can't really relate to my "problems." Which are usually the problems of people who don't have problems. Then again, if you cut me, I don't bleed cash. I'm still the same red-blooded upper middle-class girl I always was. Or at least I'm trying to stay that way.

3 comments:

  1. You ARE fancy. Can't wait to read all about your adventures. I only have one part-time nanny. I am a not an RA. I'm the norm. How dull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! 'Cross the Pond. But you don't have to be rich to be an asshole. That's the beauty of it. Thanks for the note!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! 'Cross the Pond. But you don't have to be rich to be an asshole. That's the beauty of it. Thanks for the note!

    ReplyDelete